The Handloom industry is the second largest industry next to agriculture with reference providing employment in India. The Craftsmanship is world famous and indian handloom has market all over the world. Institutes of Handloom Technology were Indian Institute of Handloom Technology are a group of autonomous public handloom institutes of higher education. There are five central and four State Sector of Indian Institute of Handloom Technology (IIHT), established in India . All IIHT are providing 3 years Course of Diploma in Handloom & Textile Technology. Only in Varanasi and Salem campus are offering one year Post Diploma in textile Processing Course.]established by the Government of India with the prime objective providing technical personnel to the Handloom Industry.
At Present there are five Indian Institutes of Handloom Technology are functioning in the Central Sector under the Administrative control of the Development Commissioner for Handlooms, Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India.
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Varanasi, U.P. (Started in 1956)
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Salem, T.N. (Started in 1960)
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Guwahati, Assam. (Started in 1982)
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Jodhpur, Rajasthan. (Started in 1993)
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Bargarh, Orissa. (Started in 2008)
In addition to the above there are four institute are functioning in the State Sector
- SPKM Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Venkatagiri, A.P.
- Karnataka Handloom Technology Institute, Gadag, Karnataka.
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Champa, C.G. (Stated in 2006)
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, Kannur.
The Above Institutes are following curriculum of the Central Institutes. The Indian Institute of Handloom Technology, (IIHT), Champa, Has Started its functioning from the academic year 2006-07.